Skip to content

Stolen painting: alert for illustrators and artists

Chaffinch 2: watercolor painting

Thanks to a fellow blogger, I was notified this morning that some blogger at WordPress is publishing my painting as her own on her blog.

I checked this out and could not believe my eyes: not only had she created a copy of this painting, but had a nerve to attach some kind of her signature to it, as well!

I published this painting on my blog last July:

and added it to my Fine Art America painting site:

Full sheet bird watercolor paintings

I was preparing these paintings for a show, so I painted more on one sheet and later separated.

Chaffinch 2: watercolor painting

This is how I attached the finished paintings to wood panels, and they were ready to go to the art show:

Watercolor paintings for bird art show

Here is the blog address of the thief:

If you check out “My paintings” (that’s where my chaffinch appears, too) and “My drawings”, you would notice how different all of these paintings and drawings are, they look no way as one artists works. I guess, there may be more art which does not belong to A. Cvetkoska.

If you see a painting which belongs to somebody you know, don’t be lazy and please contact these artists, as well.

It says under “About” on this blog the following:

A.Cvetkoska is a young girl who express the way she feels trough her paintings. She lives in Ohrid and studies at a local high- school.

Is that terrible or what? It’s great that many young and old people are willing to learn draw and paint, but some of them obviously don’t want to spend any time on this. It’s much nicer and easier just to receive compliments.

Well, I’m not aware how to deal with this copyright infringement, however, I’d appreciate somebody lets me know if WordPress can be notified in such cases. I will make a note on Facebook, as well, and tweet this stuff.

Why is this not acceptable? It’s not only the bitter feeling that somebody takes credits for your hard work, but obviously prints of paintings can be sold from any site.

It is already the second occasion recently when I find my art under somebody else’s name. Well, I don’t like that, but the only way here is probably to either photograph art so that it cannot be used for re-sale or place the watermark all over. I used to apply only small watermark at the bottom, and it didn’t help. She just cut it off.

Please contact me if you have some suggestions. I would really appreciate that.

I just found out that the purple bird is painted by Dean Crouser. My guess is, she copied everything from Pinterest.

About these ads
130 Comments Post a comment
  1. checked the links and she really is so bold about having painted it. too obvious she cropped yours exactly where you placed your name. i noticed no one has liked her page nor commented on any of her stolen pieces. best to write our names across our pieces, that way it would be hard for others to pretend it’s theirs.

February 20, 2014
    • Thanks Marlyn! It is terrible, and yes, she cropped that painting straight above the signature and watermark. I don’t like that, but we probably have to apply larger watermarks.

February 20, 2014
      • can this be reported to WP admin?

February 20, 2014
      • Well, I suppose I could or should. Not sure how to. I actually wasted already time on this matter. I will have to ask, maybe somebody knows how to report such issues.

February 20, 2014
      • i tried the forum before when i had an inquiry about something, i got a response immediately. but perhaps they’d just tell us to put a protection on our items…but at the ‘thief’s” site she/he has the badge of the internet defense league (?)….

February 20, 2014
      • Well, and I had actually watermark on the painting, as well, but she just cut it off. I will try tomorrow to contact and post there something, and if this doesn’t help I will file with that whatever automatic my complaint.

February 20, 2014
      • i’m with you Inese. i hope something good can be done about this. perhaps it would help to spread the word if i reblog your post ?

February 20, 2014
      • Sure, that would be great. I think there are more paintings which are taken from some other artist, somebody may know whose paintings these are.

February 21, 2014
  2. I would bet she didn’t do any of those paintings or drawings. The styles vary too much.

February 20, 2014
    • I agree, she probably didn’t do any of those paintings. I did not recognize some other artists, maybe somebody who has seen similar paintings will come up with something. I posted on Facebook, too.

February 20, 2014
  3. What a terrible situation for you. Unfortunately I have no wise advice for you, but would certainly be interested in following what you do, and to see if WordPress will take it further.

February 20, 2014
    • I agree Anne. It really made me angry at first, and I thought how disgusting that was later. I can somehow understand when people simply copy something, but I had never seen that somebody goes so far and puts their signature on other artist’s work.

February 20, 2014
      • You have such a wonderful amount of support, Inese! What a great community it is, to have taken up the issue alongside you. We hear so much about the Nasties in Bloggerland, but this shows that there are far more who are outraged at the Nasties’ behaviours.

February 22, 2014
      • That’s true. I just thought myself how nice it was to have all this support. I have already a couple of times before experienced how great this community was. It feels sometimes almost like a family. Exchanging ideas and suggestions was really something. I can see how many good people are out there. We can rest assured that there are way more welcoming and supportive people on this planet than the bad ones. Totally agree with you. I was very tired, just came back for a second, and you sort of summarized all the experience of the last few days. It’s a pleasure of life that nasty stuff is followed by warmhearted and sincere encouragements. Sunshine after rain, calm breeze after storm, white snow over mud, that’s how it feels at the moment. Thank you Anne for the follow-up on this.

4. Reblogged this on Kintal and commented:
    no to plagiarism!

– the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing … (google definition)

5. Reblogged this on Rethinking Life and commented:
    Stolen artwork alert!

6. Reblogged this on Kira Moore's Closet and commented:
    Copyright infringement is theft. Spread the word!

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks Kira! This is much appreciated!

February 21, 2014
    • Saw this through Kira’s reblog.
      How terrible. Sadly & unfortunately – this does not surprise me. Lots of bad people out there in this world.
      As frustrating as this is – know that one can steal your art – but – not the heart that came from it.
      PeAce!
      Rosy

February 21, 2014
      • Thanks Rosy, that’s very kind from you! I agree, and it’s such a bad way for somebody to be. Instead of doing something themselves they just grab the stuff others have created.

February 21, 2014
  7. honestly!! how can people do that? well, your painting is worth stealing, but for years I have been plagued by some evil-intentioned people, who systematically hack in my computer and steal whatever they can before I could post them.

There is no escape from these parasites, but be careful about where you will store your unsold/fresh works.

February 21, 2014
    • Thank you! I agree, it’s terrible, and all these watermarks which do make a painting look not good are just because there are people like that. I suppose, I will only post works with watermark all over. I had to delete the Flickr site because some people started to use my works without permission. The most frustrating part was somebody placing their signature on my work. I know that everybody who has experienced such situation will support making other aware about these thefts. Thank you so much!

February 21, 2014
    • Ok, I will have to later deal with this, so that such situations don’t repeat. Thanks for support!

8. Jennifer Butler Basile #

I hope this comes to some sort of just conclusion for you. Good luck.

February 21, 2014
    • Well, yes, any situation has two sides, and this just tells me that I haven’t done enough to protect paintings which I have created. Thanks!

February 21, 2014
  9. You may already have this link but I’m going to send it to you in case you don’t – it does look like she’s on WP so they surely can take her site down. That will stop any further theft, I hope. It is so obvious that she has done none of these works. Unbelievable. Here’s the link:

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks Jennifer! I checked this out last night, and it seems you cannot just report, meaning, I first have to get her to delete all this stuff just by simply asking to do so. It’s silly and unbelievable, yes. Somebody had the gladiolus and late autumn flowers paintings posted before on one online sales site, but the site administration took them down right away. It’s a bit more complicated with blogs. I most hate the part where she has placed her signature on that small painting.

February 21, 2014
  10. This is very disappointing and am sorry that people lack the moral values to respect others hard work and creations. Several of my wordpress blogging friends have also had this happen to them. You can ask them to cease and remove the image, but I think that will not stop of vicious act of thievery. You have beautiful art and a pleasure to meet and now follow.

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks Mary! That’s true, we cannot stop this type of action completely and we have to take so many additional measures just because somebody doesn’t want to do the work, but only collect compliments for it. I have to do some stuff at the moment, but I think I had seen the red tulip and the other purple bird painting either on Pinterest or somewhere else, I will try to recall where that was and make those people aware of this fact, too.
      The pleasure is mutual, and I’m happy to get in touch with you, too!

February 21, 2014
  11. this is horrible! i remain all but speechless at the NEVER of today’s thieves!

this person needs to be arrested! there are hefty fines for stealing copyrighted work and profiting from it.

z

February 21, 2014
    • It sure is! I think I just found the artists who had painted some other real images which she had stolen! Isn’t that something! It looks like everything on that blog is only stolen work!

February 21, 2014
      • i ‘hate’ to go to her site to give her more traffic, but i’ll go there before i leave town, where my internet connection is fast. at home, i’ll not be able to see the images!

thanks for this post, and i’m so sorry you’re having to deal with that. this post of mine received a lot of feedback – sometimes the careless ‘share via pinterest’ or other method sets off a chain in a negative direction.

February 21, 2014
      • Oh well, it is what it is. I hope with so much support we can probably shut down that page. I just found out and sent a note to the artist who painted the purple bird, Dean Crouser. He probably won’t be happy, too. I was unable to get in touch with artist who painted women’s faces, but I tweeted to them.

February 21, 2014
  12. Omg! You’re taking the right steps. What did she say to you???? And yes, contact WP!
    I had been thinking about you, planning to visit, when I got your likes last night. =)

And the stolen work is lovely, btw. I’m not surprised someone had eyed it.

February 21, 2014
    • I’m working on sketches at the moment, but I could see that ALL art on that blog was stolen. I contacted some artists, but didn’t have time to get in touch with everybody. I’ll leave the solutions for later at night, so that I can work during the daylight which is essential for me. Thanks for your comment! It looks Pinterest allows to copy everything easily.

February 21, 2014
  13. You are very talented!!! shame on that person…

February 21, 2014
  14. How pathetic. Definitely notify WP. Imagine this person’s self esteem? Zero. I’ve had my work stolen before in the work environment. But this is the worst I have heard of. Sending your post to my hubby…..

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks, that is pathetic. I cannot imagine what she was thinking about. Maybe thought that nobody will notice? Artists who check out other fellow artists works usually know who has painted what. Well, I found two other watercolors earlier listed on one site with some other guys name. That site took them off immediately. No watermarks can help if somebody gives nothing about other people’s efforts. Thanks for your help and support!

February 22, 2014
  15. Very angering!! I will reblog this as well! But also change my watermarks too. I hate to obscure the painting with a watermark but it looks like we will all have to do that. I think I recognize someone else’s work on the site too. I’m checking it out!

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks, that’s so helpful! Some other artists whose works appear there are also notified. I had watermark at the bottom, and that didn’t help. Will have to use now all over watermark for sites which do not place their temporary embossed watermarks. Too bad, really!

16. Reblogged this on Painting Pundit and commented:
    Stolen art alert!! Someone is stealing artist’s work on WordPress.

17. Make Something Mondays #

She must have taken the paintings down by the time I got to her site because there aren’t any that match your paintings. Did you try emailing her or leaving a comment on her site?

It is a terrible thing that she is using your paintings as her own. When i was first learning to paint and draw I would copy other artists work to learn the techniques, but I always made it clear. Maybe she is trying to do the same thing? It is illegal either way, but I’m just trying to work through some ideas here.

You have gorgeous paintings, by the way.

February 21, 2014
    • Well, she would not cut off my signature and watermark and place the copy of my painting image if she was practicing. There would be also differences in the painting style. The other bird was also taken exactly as is from one other artist. It says also clearly on my blog that all materials are copyrighted, and besides, that actual painting is on some online stores for sale. All of these works were somebody else’s, I cannot remember who painted the red tulips because I have seen those before. The women’s faces in sort of red and blue ink belonged to some group which has online sales. So on. Terrible, I don’t think there is any excuse for that.

February 22, 2014
    • Yes, I could see my painting was deleted. That was February 14, 2014 post, it’s gone. That’s good, thanks a lot!

18. Make Something Mondays #

You could always try doing a image search on Google to see if you find any more of your work that’s stolen. http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en go here and upload your image. If it has been posted somewhere on the web, then the search will show you where it is located.

February 21, 2014
    • This time I had no idea this painting was posted on that blog. One other blogger noticed and sent me the link. I usually check such stuff, I’ve been using computer ever since internet appeared, I’m doing medical research and translations, as well, so I’m good with this. But it’s difficult to find your own work if it’s listed with some other artist’s name and description.

19. Make Something Mondays #

Reblogged this on Make Something Mondays! and commented:
    Artists beware.
    They say that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That may be true, but you can’t go around stealing other people’s artwork. Make sure you are using watermarks and remember to do reverse image searches to make sure that no one is stealing your work.

February 21, 2014
    • Well, that’s true. However, I can see now that only large all over watermark would prevent from improper use of the art. I had to delete for this reason all Flickr site: didn’t want to place watermarks, but my paintings were used for licencing by others and you name it where. It is terrible.

February 22, 2014
  20. I love your work. It is so hard to believe that someone would steal something so personal as art. Good on you for letting us all know.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks, I appreciate all support and help. I also notified some other artists whose works were placed on that blog. Some people might identify more artworks. It’s worth spreading out the word because that’s how we can make people aware about what’s happening. Too bad, she says she is a young girl. Of my, where are we heading?

21. Reblogged this on Ruthie quilts! And quilts… and commented:
    Stolen Art taken from WordPress Blog! Re-blogging to spread the word!

February 21, 2014
    • Thanks, much appreciated. This is at least one way how we can cope with such incidents.

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks so much! I hope this will be resolved quickly and it’s because of all this huge support!

February 22, 2014
  22. Coming from Ruthie’s reblog…….Seems like much has disappeared from the offending blog!!! Your paintings are so gorgeous and your technique very recognizable!!!! Theft via the internet is way too easy and seems to have stripped the “personal” factor away so there is no guilt felt in such an activity.It is a very bad foundation to build a life upon. Hugs and blessings…………

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks to all of your support, my painting was deleted from that site. I connected Doris Joa whose red tulips were there and also Dean Crouser whose painting was there. Thanks for your nice comments about my art! I really appreciate all support and help!

• You are so very welcome! Hugs………………..Doreen

23. Reblogged this on Living and Lovin and commented:
    beware rights belong to those who actually painted the image or took the photo

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks so much! This all was very helpful. My painting was deleted when I checked this morning, and I contected 2 other artists whose works I recognized. Thanks again!

February 22, 2014
      • I do not even know how to see if my things are being used :( you are more than welcome glad it worked out for you.

February 22, 2014
      • Well, thanks to everybody’s contribution it really worked.

• :)

February 22, 2014
  24. Inese, before I comment, this is my first stop at your blog. Amazingly beautiful work.Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry that this has also caused you pain.

There are few things in life that can make one feel more violated than a thief. As a writer, I copyright my work, but that can only go so far. There are things I want to share for free, not just for others to enjoy , but for exposure, that I have to honestly ask myself, is this wise? Even things that I sell, there are few barriers from having someone downloading and selling under their own name.

My heart goes out to you. I have many friends who are talented hard working artists like yourself, and know the years it takes to learn and excel. If I see your work anywhere else , I will surely tell you. So sorry.

Hoping for happier pieces in the future.

LD – NYC.

Note: Profanity was edited out of the original comment. ;-)

February 22, 2014
    • Thank you so much! I paint quite a lot, and obviously it is sort embarrassing when you see your work published under some other name. I would imagine it’s even more difficult to control the written works because how do you find them when they can be hidden in the middle of some other text? I agree, we all need some exposure, that why we need to show the world what we have created. It is a very good idea to immediately contact people in case of suspicion. Even when the alert is not confirmed, it still makes sense. I contacted Doris Joa (the red tulip painting was her work) and Dean Crouser (the purple bird painting author). There is obviously more stolen work. She did not even apologize, nothing, but she deleted my paintings under the pressure of WordPress community. So, this support and help really made a lot of sense. Your kind comment is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!

February 22, 2014
  25. Crass, and just plain theft. Anyone who follows should stop immediately. WP should close the site immediately as well, Disgraceful. Thanks for warning. MM 🍀

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks! I suppose I cannot request any more that site to be closed because she has deleted my painting from her site. She did not admit this anyhow or apologize. It seems some people are really tough to touch in any way. I contacted the other artists and thanks for your support, as well, because we are making aware such people that thefts among bloggers won’t be tolerated. Thank you and have a great day!

26. EAM #

Thank you so much for boosting this. I can’t understand the thought behind such an act – and to deliberately crop signatures and then add her own? It’s disgusting.

February 22, 2014
    • Well, the hugest thank you, goes to you, because otherwise I had no idea that this was happening. I agree, it’s totally disgusting. Simply posting would be already bad enough, but this cropping and adding signature is something unheard of. I sent notes to Doris Joa about her tulip painting and to Dean Crouser about his painting.
      So, I cannot express enough how much I appreciated you noticing my painting on that site. Have a fantastic day!

February 22, 2014
  27. Reblogged this on Painted Menagerie.

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks Chris! It really helps, and it made sense already. She had deleted my painting, but some other artists’works still remain on that site.

February 22, 2014
      • I figure the more it’s reblogged, maybe she will be shamed into deleting all of the stolen images? Maybe …

February 22, 2014
      • Well, I think anybody would have done this long ago when the first signals came in. It doesn’t seem she is giving anything about this. How thick of a skin one must have?

28. nannus #

Just report that blog to the admins.On http://en.wordpress.com/tos/ they write:

“…By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
    the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;…”

So this is a violation of the tersm of service. Just report that blog and WordPress will take action, warn that person or even just delete the blog.

February 22, 2014
    • Thanks! I was not aware I could do something like this based on WP terms and conditions of use! Great idea! The only bad thing is that she has deleted my painting by the time we talk. Still report? There is no answer to my comment on that blog, I suppose, it got deleted.

• nannus #

Just report the incident anyway. The wordpress people will have an eye on her (or him, whoever it is). Maybe they can also still prove it. They should have regular data backup, so even it the post has been deleted, they probably still have the evidence.

February 22, 2014
      • Thanks. Ok, you convinced me, and that seems to be the right thing to do. Having dinner at the moment, will have to deal with this a bit later.

February 22, 2014
  29. Shame on whoever did this. :)

February 22, 2014
    • Huge work. Thanks! Maybe somebody knows these artists. I sent some messages to them, as well.

February 23, 2014
    • Well, some people may know these artists and send them more messages. Thanks for your huge contribution!

February 23, 2014
  30. Reblogged this on stitchinggrandma and commented:
    Stealing another persons work, pattern etc is so wrong. Using an artist work as inspiration is one thing…you must give the original artist credit when you do so. Copying or worse yet; blatantly stealing and posting it as your own is a violation of WordPress terms of service.

February 23, 2014
    • Exactly. I wanted to report this to WP, but I cannot specify any more the painting because my painting image is deleted. Only those whose images are still there can do it because the report form (just like all forms) requires to follow specific steps. Thus, I cannot identify my image I’m reporting about, it’s not there.

February 23, 2014
  31. Rebloged~!~ Trying to get the word out. Hoping that the thief loses their blog! Also hoping you can find a way to water mark all your posts. Sad to have to do such a thing. I look at your work as something to inspire me. I am a quilter, and if I use a pattern that is posted in the public domain for free, I still give credit to the person who designed it. I try to do that on the label on the back of my quilt; and whenever I blog about a particular project.

February 23, 2014
    • Thank you! One blogger took her time and found all artists whose paintings were displayed on this blog, they all were stolen. Not only that: this person cuts off the original signatures, places her own signatures on paintings and sells prints on Devianart. The link to the profile is on her blog.

February 23, 2014
  32. My work was stolen about a year ago so I know exactly how you feel. Someone, who had a blog full of stolen things, took an entire photo tutorial from my blog and rewrote (badly) all of the instructions. There were over 20 photographs showing my hands, my equipment and my work. I was so upset! I wrote to the culprit and asked them nicely to delete my work from their blog and got no reply. I wrote a “stronger” email and got no reply again. My work was still on the blog and they were getting nice comments about their (my) tutorial. I read up on the rules and this particular blog was a “blogspot” one. It clearly stated in the terms and conditions that they would close a blog down if it was found to be breaching copyright so I emailed the culprit again and threatened to report their blog with a link to the terms and conditions. They removed all of my images. I felt horrible about threatening to report them but they left me with no choice. it is such a shame you have to watermark your lovely work but you have no choice. Best wishes, Avis x

February 23, 2014
    • Terrible story. I feel so sorry to hear that. One painting takes quite a lot of time to paint, but to create the entire tutorial takes even more time. Whatever that is, it is disgusting. I read yesterday on her Devianart profile, she said: don’t try to tell me that I haven’t painted these. Isn’t that something? Some people just have eaten down all of their shame with the daily sandwich, they don’t even feel somehow uncomfortable. I loved your tutorials! I’m sewing time to time, too, used to sew everything, but not enough time at the moment. However, there’s such a lack of quality in anything we can buy ready made, that it is the best to just take up crafting and sewing again. Your tutorials must be helpful for many people.

February 23, 2014
  33. I wrote a big post on my blog about stealing content and how prevalent it really is. I couldn’t believe it, and there are people everywhere sharing their work without watermarking it. I hope when people see this, they will understand who is hurt by stealing work (tutorials- which is what I blogged about, as well as artwork, etc) and why its important to cover yourself and help prevent others from doing this.

Thanks for blogging about this, and hopefully the blogger is gone for good!

I just clicked on your links and the blog is blank. Its still there, but there is no content. So you must have done something. I found this on Make Something Monday.

If you want to see my post about Stealing Content: http://christinadesignsart.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/stealing-is-stealing-and-its-not-ok/

February 24, 2014
    • Thanks Christina! Well, somebody sent me a message, that they had noticed my painting there. That’s how it all started. There were lots of other paintings, all stolen.
      I am always watermarking everything, this had my signature, as well. What she used to do is: she cut off the watermark and signature and placed her signature instead. Well, art sometimes looks bad with the watermark all over it, and that’s why I was using it only at the bottom. I will photograph some more important artworks from a different angle and use larger watermarks. However, such thefts are not long-lasting because artists usually know and recognize each others stuff. Too bad, somebody wanted to build their portfolio on stolen works. Thanks for commenting!

February 24, 2014
  34. I was very saddened to learn of your experience. My friend Gigi re-blogged what happened to you. That is truly awful! I’ve read several times from various bloggers of this sort of thing and I think wordpress should set something up to avoid these situations. I did a post asking if anyone here on wp would be interested in providing this type of service, for pay or photo credit, where it would be legal and with permission from the owner of the work. Perhaps it can happen if there’s enough interest. Your rights should be protected – not violated. Again, I’m sorry to hear it. Best wishes.

February 25, 2014
    • Thanks, it kind of got sorted out, there were quite a few artworks from different artists involved. I had some paintings placed by other people for sale in some online sales sites before but the site resolved that immediately. That person did not go as far as cutting off the watermark and signature. This one did. Artist D. C. said he was going to sue her through his lawyers. I didn’t think my losses were that bad, so I didn’t want to waste more time on this. I deleted all Flickr site last year, because that was terrible how anything got copied and even taken for licencing without any approval. Pinterest and Facebook are fairly bad, too, so that’s why I won’t place any exact art there. I’m using watermarks, but you know, nobody can protect absolutely every picture or avoid others using it to some extent. I don’t mind people sharing or re-blogging some stuff with all the references coming back to me, but this was actually very exceptional case, very rude and very bad one. Thanks again!

February 25, 2014
      • I was sickened when reading the details. What happened was awful. There has got to be a better way so that artists can protect themselves. I’m thankful it was resolved to a degree – but mortified it happened in the first place. In any event, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Belinda

February 25, 2014
      • Likewise Belinda. I actually met through this incident lots of nice people on the WP, and learned how helpful and supportive everybody was. Just like always: everything has two sides. Things like this one emerge in people with no moral or understanding what creation is. It’s getting late, I have to take some rest. I was just doing sketches for a large watercolor still life, and wanted to post them, but later decided not to. I will figure out how to do it less harmful for me. Good night and thanks!

February 25, 2014
      • You’re most welcome. Yes, the majority of wordpress folks are very supportive. We’re fortunate to be part of a great community. Be well and best wishes.

February 25, 2014
  35. omg. How horrible! Its also so bad to see how other people are commenting this has happened to them as well. I guess I was a bit naive in not thinking this would happen. good thing you wrote and alerted people to this!

March 1, 2014
    • Well, yes, that was a bit disturbing. I know, I used to think the same way that we all were nice guys and who would want to really steal something that personal as painting. However, when I started to notice that some of my paintings were used as if licensed before I had given any permission, I immediately deleted all Flickr account because that was the first instance with actually no protection. We all could see that putting a small watermark at the bottom and having a signature on some painted stuff was not enough. I had to write because there were lots of recognizable works.

March 1, 2014
  36. Oh no! Not again! I am so sad for this girl, who should have more pride and put her effort into making her own art. I’m even more sad for you and the other artists.

March 9, 2014
    • Hi Brenda,
      No, nothing happened. Somebody reblogged that post. I’m fine and about to start finally one more blog. I wanted to do it all the way because art doesn’t cover many of my ideas and experiences. NEVER enough time!!!
      Thanks for noticing!

March 10, 2014
      • If we could bottle time, we would be millionaires.

March 10, 2014
      • Exactly. Too many duties, too many intentions and just two hands, as well.

March 10, 2014
      • Exactly. And one tired brain.

March 10, 2014
      • Well, sometimes very tired.

March 10, 2014
      • You will see I posted my mediocre best fairy painting, definitely room for improvement, but mine, down to the last brush stroke. I am not too good at reproducing the art, how do you do it? Do you scan or photograph. I apologize if I already asked you this. I asked someone recently, but I think it was someone else… Anyway, still tired today, never enough sleep. Cheers, Brenda

March 10, 2014
      • Well, like I said on your blog, your painting was nice. I personally don’t scan and I don’t use photos for my own paintings, only for students, and, well, Brenda, I’ve been drawing since I was a small kid which would total in some 50 years. I always had this sort of need to draw whatever I saw, and so I did. Figuratives either follow some general guidance, like proportions and placement of body parts, etc, or they are completely imaginative or cartooning style. Both still require practicing. I would suggest you use watercolor pencils to create a good base because it’s way easier to control everything in a drawing. Secondly, watercolor as the name suggests, needs quite a lot of water. It’s difficult to explain everything in a text, but I would love to congratulate you with the first published painting! There are lots of people who simply copy the drawing either through a transfer paper or light box, and later place the paint like on a coloring page. It’s definitely not original art, but it may help to get started quickly. I’m sure there should be some books about fairy drawing and painting, I’m not that much myself in figuratives recently, but I used to do a lot of them during university.
        Once you have the reference drawing, you should transfer onto the watercolor paper only the most important pencil lines. If you’re using watercolor pencils, you can transfer using straight watercolor pencil. Add some water, add some washes, you may need some detail at the end, and that’s about it. Good luck!

March 10, 2014
      • That’s good advice, thank you. I used to oil paint, but that was a different medium. I was better at that. I haven’t painted much for years, and I need lots of practice, obviously. Take care, Brenda

March 10, 2014
      • At some point, watercolor can be more difficult than oils because you cannot undo that much in watercolor. Still, you can achieve fairly good results right from the beginning. Since you are painting something with lots of detail, you should always work out a good reference drawing and transfer it and paint only when you are satisfied with the drawing, that saves time and efforts, too.

March 10, 2014
      • Yes, that’s good advice. I asked you if you scan or photograph, not meaning how you make your art, but rather how you get the finished image on-line. Those are the only two ways that I know of, so I was confused by your answer. Then eventually I realized you thought I was asking about technique.

March 11, 2014
      • I’m sorry for confusion. I take quite a few photos, crop and edit when needed. Especially in winter, light is really bad.

March 11, 2014
      • Ah, that makes sense. Watercolors don’t scan very well. The colors are too subtle.

March 11, 2014
      • You also get better light on your image. It’s more difficult to get good image from small or tiny painting. Large watercolors are the best, they come out in a fantastic way, I’d say, these are the easiest to photograph.

March 11, 2014
  37. This is a risk online. People displaying other people’s work inappropriately. That can happen easily, but if she was blatantly representing it as her own work, then that’s misrepresentation.

This may be a very young person, so her ethics around this could be wobbly, but I’ve only seen something like this done on here only once. So it’s the type of thing where if you contacted her, she may be embarrassed into honesty (first time challenge)?

And that may be what has already happened. None of the links are working.

Still these are unfortunate risks of the internet. Just glad it was rectified.

March 10, 2014
    • Thanks. Well, we have to publish artworks and designs somewhere. She was cutting off the watermarks and signatures and replacing them with her own. There were lots of paintings and drawings from different artists, not only mine. There were no answers and nothing else. Everything is fine by now. Thanks again for stopping by!

March 10, 2014
      • True. I didn’t realize this person had done all of that. That’s pretty intense. Now, it sounds like blatant stealing not sort of accidental misrepresentation. I hope she learned her lesson, but someone who did that amount of lying worries me.

No words.

Anyway, you’re welcome!

March 10, 2014
      • No, it wasn’t any kind of misinterpretation, it was a real theft. I didn’t have time for that, but there were artists who were going to deal with that as a violation of copyrights and do this via court.

March 10, 2014
      • Very intense. Quite honestly, I’d be the one pursuing legal action. Removing someone’s info to replace with your own is profoundly unethical. I mean I think the whole re-blogging craze straddles a line, even mash up with music. But no body is claiming it’s their original work, unless, well, they’re crazy!

Maybe there is a way you can lock your images into place?

March 10, 2014
      • All legal stuff takes time and money, plus it’s nothing pleasant even if you don’t have to do this on your own. Oh well, I will have to place the watermark all over a cropped image. It make the painting look worse, but it prevents from unauthorized use. Thanks for your great comments! It’s almost 2 am, should go and rest.

March 10, 2014
      • You’re welcome and thanks for the chat, it reminds me to keep taking precautions with my work.

Done some things on my blog which will appear paranoid to some, but this kinda stuff is why.

Anyway, pepper it with the watermark. We’ll still be able to see the image…

See ya. :)

March 10, 2014
      • Thanks, exactly, it’s additional work, but watermark is necessary.

March 10, 2014
  38. That is unbelievable. I thought we learned in school that if you want to borrow, then give respect and credit to the originator. Cite, reference, bibliography, whatever, just give credit. I hope you nipped it in the bud. Like they say, once we put it out there it becomes open for the vultures.

March 10, 2014
    • It sort of is unbelievable. However, most artists who are painting particular themes or subjects pretty much know each other and they also recognize each other’s paintings. Somebody notified me, and I notified who I knew, and WordPress community helped to identify more artists. That way this got sorted out. Thanks for visiting my blog!